Uwe Micheel was born in Celle, Germany. He is married to wife Annette, who was born in Kehl and they have 2 boys: Paul, who is 25 years old and Max who is 22 years old.
His career was set when he was 12 years old, always helping his mother in the kitchen, and attending cooking classes at that time designed for young girls only. Chef Uwe was born in Germany where he spent most of his childhood and did his two and a half year’s apprenticeship as Restaurant Chef in Celler Hof boutique hotel in Celle city near Hanover. After one year of working at the hotel Schwarzer Bock in 1978 (Hotel founded in 1486), which is now managed by Radisson Blu, Micheel served two years in the army service as a chef in the officer restaurant.
He joined the InterContinental Hotels Group in 1981 in Berlin, Germany, a year later he moved to the UK as the Chef de Partie Saucier in Hyde Park London, and afterwards shifted to Bahrain for three years. Relocated to Korea as member of the opening team for the InterContinental Seoul, three years later got appointed as Executive Sous Chef for the opening of Yokohama Grand InterContinental. Since 1993 he has been working in Dubai, holding a post of Director of Kitchens at Radisson Blu Hotel Dubai Deira Creek.
Joined Emirates Culinary Guild in 1993 and became Emirates Culinary Guild General Secretary from 1994, ECG Chairman from 1996 and President from 1999 until present.
After more than 38 years cooking experience, he still hasn’t selected his favorite dish.
Selected dishes for various occasions depend mostly on his mood. But Micheel is always ready for a good German sausage or packet of Haribos any time of the day or night.
Uwe Micheel’s Involvement In Various DTCM Activities:
- Member Of Food Surprises Committee From The Beginning Of DSS
- Member Of Emirati Cuisine Initiative
- Initiated And Organized Emirati Cuisine Competition
- Largest Cake In The World – Guinness Book Of Records
- Worlds Biggest Pasta Bowl – Guinness Book Of Record
- Worlds Biggest Biriyani - Guinness Book Of Record
- Worlds Biggest Babaganush
- Worlds Highest Number Of Rice Dumplings – Guinness Book Of Records
- Setting Up Rules And Judging Committee For Best Restaurant In Global Village At The DSF
- Organizing Junior Chef Of Year Competition During Summer Surprises
- Part of Organizing Committee of International Dubai Salon Culinaire during Gulf Food Exhibition. (Biggest Show In MEA)
- Set Up A Judging Committee For DTCM Ladies Cooking Competition In Dubai
- Set a new Guinness World Record for the most different desserts on display in the year 2009
- Set a new Guinness World Record for Highest No of People Gathering in Chefs Uniform in the year 2013
Emirates Culinary Guilds:
- Heading the organizing committee of the WACS (World Association of Chef’s Societies) Congress 2008 – 33rd world congress held in Dubai from 12th to 15th May 2008. This event was attended by 75 member countries and it boosted the reputation of culinary Dubai.
- WACS Culinary Judge B 2009
- WACS Culinary Judge A 2014
- Over the past years, Speaker in various Industry Forums and Seminars
- Jury Member of various Industry Awards
Radisson Blu Hotel Deira Creek:
- Kept the culinary team of the hotel after the re-branding of the hotel from Intercontinental to Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Deira Creek. The team kept winning Time Out and What’s On awards
- At the Junior Chef of the Year during DSS July 2008 the Radisson team came out as the best hotel which got the highest number of medals
- Actively involved in renovating and re-launching of Shabestan – Iranian restaurant at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Deira Creek
- Despite being the first and oldest 5 star hotel in Dubai, the Radisson Blu Hotel Dubai Deira Creek was one of the first hotels which achieved the HACCP certification
Chaine Des Rotisseurs:
- Active member of the Chaine de Rotisserie as Conseiller Culinaire (Member of Dubai National Council)
- Recently promoted as Conseiller Culinaire in United Arab Emirates Chapter
Cook Books Collaboration
- Self-written and self-published ‘Chef At Home’ was released on February 2010 and won the Best in 3 Categories at the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards for MEA
- No 2 in the World in the in the Category Best First Book
- Participated with the planning of the International Cook Book “World on a Plate” released June 2008
- Took part with the planning of the Indian Cook Book number 4 with Mr. Rakesh Puri, which won the best cook book Middle East and became number 3 world wide
Supporter of different trade magazines:
- Gulf Gourmet which is the Emirates Culinary Guild magazine,
- What’s Cooking – part of consulting chef’s team
- Regularly being featured on Caterer Middle East for regular questions and answers
- Advisory Board of Pro Chef Magazine
- Advisory Team of BBC Gulf Food Magazine
Don't be put off by the culinary fads and 'trendy' foods that quite frankly, are only to grab attention and deter the home cook from attempting anything enterprising at home.